Saturday, August 16, 2008

Looooong Week of Work and a Late Night

Hey all, just wanted to talk about my week a little bit.

As you know I started a new position in Shipping 4 weeks ago. Normally the department has 5 people in it and it feels a little like they have spoiled themselves the last couple of years because they haven't had any turn over for awhile. Well about 2 months go one of their guys quit and another one gave notice (moving on to bigger and better things). I came in a month ago to replace the first guy and then the 2nd guy left. My friend russ came in a week later as a possible replacement but so far he is just in the dept. temporarily. They found this one completely useless girl to come in and take over for the 2nd guy that quit.

So as of 2 weeks ago we had 3 people with tons of experience in the department and 3 new people. Things were working out well, but then this last week happened. I don't know if I have ever witnessed so any things go wrong at one time before. The department lead goes on a vacation for the whole week, we come in on monday and the guy he left in charge has a serious family emergency and will also be gone all week!

Now we are down to ONE guy with 5 years experience, one guy who has been there for 4 weeks (me), one for 3 weeks and one for 2 weeks... Well the guy with all the experience is a good guy, but he isn't a leader, or a problem solver. It was working pretty well, but we were hitting 11 to 11 1/2 hour days every day.

We were expecting Friday to be the toughest day, it had the most units to ship out and such so I volunteered to come in 2 hours early (fully expecting a 12+ hours day) and Russ followed suit and came in about the same time.

Well, things were going pretty decently, we finally got the girl that had been there 2 weeks to stop doing stuff she wasnt trained for yet so we didnt have to babysit her so much. Then we go to an early lunch at 11:15. We come back and the guy in charge looks the worse for wear, he looks pretty shaken up. He tells us his wife has been pretty sick for awhile now with Lymphnoma (I think that was it) and she has having a really rough day and may need to go to the hospital and he has to leave, now.

He felt really bad, but family comes first so Russ and I let him knew we understood and that we would get by without him. I had him spend a couple minutes training me on a couple of things as he was on his way out the door.

Ok, so 12 o'clock Friday, we have a total of 3 shippers with a combined total of 9 weeks in the department (plus some help with No exprience). We managed to pull out a really really good day out of it despite the circumstances, I learned a lot about troubleshooting and all sorts of stuff.

This whole week, friday in particular, left us all pretty drained. So Russ and I met up with a friend of ours down at My Office and we all got hammered. It was a ton of fun. Then we got a ride home.

Anyway, that is good for now. I hope everybodies weekend is going well. 2 more days until i get my kids back! WOO HOO

No comments:

Post a Comment